Welcome

A free creative resource for designers, decorators & interior painters.

If you are new to this Paint Some Colour blog then welcome. We have readers from around globe; from Australia to India, Japan and the U.S.A, as well as here at home in the U.K.

I've worked in the design industry for well over 25 years & my approach to colour selection is practical, creative and systematic.
My personal way of choosing colour is based on an analytical engagement with the subject and the creation of a visual story, supported by a unique library of images and materials collected over the years.

The last place I look to find the colour of my dreams is on a paint chart. It's not that I never go there, I do. It's just that the manufacturers paint chart is the final tool in the decision making process. I use them only to qualify my choices.

I'm also deeply interested in the historical evolution and the manufacturing of paint; its application and range of finish, from dead matt through to ultra gloss. The way light plays on a decorated surface, is as important as the very colour itself.

I work my craft professionally with PLAIN ENGLISH & BRITISH STANDARD CUPBOARD MAKERS
Showrooms in Hoxton Square, Marylebone London and Suffolk. England.

I also offer a COLOUR CONSULTANCY sevice

Please feel free to ask me about colour, paint, materials or decorating.

Other than that, please enjoy.



Mark





Friday 6 May 2011

The Recycled House.

Artists' Open House - Dulwich Festival 2011

I wholly recommend you take the time to visit to this living art piece. It is first and foremost a real home. It is also a living & ever changing installation piece. Conceived by the creative pair of Mark Hill & Kate Shipp.

The Dulwich Festival gives us a rare opportunity to see this both amusing & captivating space. Imagine a house decorated by Sir John Soane but sourced by Albert Steptoe. The interior is full of items saved literally from skips & scoured at boot sales. Items swapped, traded and made from up-cycled scrap, things that most of us would overlook.

It's also quite beautiful, almost museum like, though not overly precious. It is after all a family home for the couple & their two children.

They themselves describe the house as
"illustrating the possibility of living elegantly whilst reducing the environmental impact"
I think it forces you look at things in a new light too, it is a mirror of how disposable we've become as a society. It pulls you up, it makes you think. I know I feel better for it.

In the photo, Kate Shipp & Mark Hill
I've personally been to the house a number of times and each time I discover a new part I'd overlooked before. Though it may well have never been there in the first place, in all it gives you a heady flood of images and objects to view; be warned though, this is no trip to Ikea.

Also much of what you see is for sale. Mark is a working artist & trader, so don't be surprised to find price tags on your tea cups or cake stands. Also ask to see his other work too; it's all there on the walls, with much more hidden in the plan chests.

Of course all this looking can be both exciting and exhausting. So, to revive your spirits Kate & Mark set up shop in the garden, serving tea & home-baked cakes on alice-in-wonderland style cake stands ( yes,  Kate & Mark make and sell these too )
All this reviving refreshment served in the tranquility of the garden, gets you ready for another look at this truly unique house.

Lastly, there is a little Pop-Up market to feast your eyes on. Bring some cash or a cheque book as this The Recycled House is a gem of a visit.

Open on 7-8th May and the 14-15th May

11:30-5pm
No need to book


The house is at
4 Longton Avenue SE26 *click on for a map near to the beautiful Sydenham Wells park

It's easy to get to by car, bus or train  * see links

By train, head for Sydenham in SE26 on the fantastic new overground Train Service and it's about a 10 minute walk from the station.
Buses from Crystal Palace run every 10 minutes.

Contact details

shipp.hill@virgin.net
www.therecycledhouse.co.uk

And, maybe I'll see you there....


Mark
x

No comments:

Post a Comment